Oliver and Mr. Giraffe were ready for the trip as they rode through the airport in the little umbrella stroller. The flight had one layover in Detroit on the way to Houston.
Oliver is an amazing flyer! This was his first time, but he did it like a pro! We had no hang-ups in security. On the plane we were prepared with some apple juice in his sippy cup for him to sip on if his ears were hurting and a new toy to play with in case he got bored. We did not need either one! He sucked his thumb for much of the flight then fell asleep on Brent's lap for about an hour and a half from Detroit to Houston. We were so proud!
Once in Houston the entire Sweet family picked us up at the airport then we headed toward their house in League City where Brent and I used to live. Once we got there and settled in a bit my friend and former co-worker Bridget came over to meet Oliver. For the rest of Sunday we hung out at the Sweet's house, had amazing chicken spaghetti for dinner, and talked the night away.
On Monday we went to the pool. It was Oliver's first time in a big pool. After a quick warm-up to the water and surroundings he loved it! He hung out with Brent most of the time there, getting deeper in the water gradually and eventually putting his head under. The Sweet kids also had a great time, each one learning how much fun it is to go down the slide.
After swimming and changing clothes, I let Oliver sit in front of the mirror for a minute. He thought it was hilarious to touch his reflection in the mirror and was laughing really hard about it!
Once we got home the kids played some, Daniel demonstrated how to "read", and took baths. That night Shane's parent's came over once the kids were in bed so that the adults could go on a date! We're not totally sure the last time we went on a date with another couple, so Brent and I were super excited. Dinner was at Chuy's and we watched the movie Super 8. Though the dinner was great and the movie was awesome, I learned a lesson. When ordering food that you're not sure is spicy or not, don't ask the little Mexican lady her thoughts. Of course it's not spicy to her! Was it spicy to me? Extremely!
On Tuesday, Oliver and I spent the morning hanging out with Courtney, Isaac and Asher. We had a great time playing, napping and talking. Courtney and I must have been talking a lot because at one point Isaac, age 4, asked us how much longer we would keep going. Courtney sweetly explained how we had not seen each other in a long time and he sort of understood. Brent and Shane played frisbee golf during this time at Jack Brooks Park. He had fun but said it was not his favorite course and it was way too hot!
After leaving the Higgins home we stopped by to see Dana and Jarrod. Jarrod was in my 3rd grade class our last year in Houston though Dana and I were friends before then. In August Jarrod will be in 8th grade! My how time flies! They really enjoyed meeting Oliver.
On Tuesday night I had dinner at Gringos, my favorite Tex-Mex restaurant, with dear friends who I used to teach with at Greene Elementary. We laughed really hard at the waitress who thought we'd be ready to leave after we finished eating. Little did she realize that we'd be there for three and a half hours. All I know is that I have not laughed that hard in a long time!
On Wednesday morning Courtney, Isaac, Asher, Shane, Alison, Ashley, Daniel, Brent, Oliver, and I went to the Houston Zoo. We enjoyed many animals and time to be together. It was super hot! After walking around to see the animals we rode a train that goes around Hermann Park. The bigger kids loved this, though Oliver was a little restless and hungry at that point. He fell asleep before we got out of the zoo parking lot!
That night we had a cook-out with people from our small group Bible study (the Higgins', the Sweet's, the Aguirres) when we lived in Houston. A few couples were unable to make it, but we had a great time catching up. Beforehand Daniel and Ashley helped me make a chocolate chip pound cake. They were so proud of their hard work!
Thursday morning we flew home early to Dayton then drove to our home in Northern Kentucky. As you can tell from the picture of Shane holding Oliver, he was exhausted! This was the busiest and most active week of his life so far. On the flight home he did really well again. We were so impressed. We had a great trip and can't wait to see our friends again soon!

What a fun time catching up with friends! I am so glad ya'll came to visit. It was fabulous meeting Oliver! And hugging you!
ReplyDeleteMelissa, Thanks for this walk through your trip. I miss you already! When things get hectic over the next few weeks I'll stop and think about our visit and smile. This is one of my summer highlights! Love, Bridget
ReplyDeleteps. the picture of Oliver and I, delightful!