Thursday, July 12, 2012

Oliver's First Concert

Potty Training wore us out this week! Last night Brent knew that it was time to get Oliver and I out of the house. He took us to supper at Cheddar's then started planning today. This morning we went hiking at the Nature Center. Oliver enjoyed touching leaves, playing in the rocks, and walking down paths. The fresh air and beauty of God's creation revived my soul and I was feeling better by the time we shared a picnic lunch. 

During Oliver's nap, Brent asked if I'd like to go to a Friendship Concert at Freedom Park that was part of the World Choir Games tonight. This is the 8th Annual World Choir Games, the first in the United States, and it is being held in Cincinnati. Freedom Park was revived in 2010 and is across the street from Music Hall in Cincinnati: tons of culture! Neither Brent and I fully understood the importance of culture or the vastness of our world until we were in college. Because of this we're committed to helping Oliver understand and appreciate both of these things as he's growing up. So of course I agreed!  We arrived about an hour early, found a great spot to sit, played at the playground, and were ready in time for the singing to begin. 

We got to hear choirs from South Africa, Russia, the Cincinnati area, and Huntsville, Alabama. My favorite was the Huntsville group, even though I missed part of it due to a diaper emergency. Brent enjoyed the group from Russia the best. Oliver did really well for the first two groups, got restless during the third, and was with me during the diaper emergency for the last. His favorite parts of the experience were playing the xylophone at the park and clapping to the music. Yes, the kid has rhythm! Our only regret is that we'd gotten to experience more of the choir games during the two-week stint in Cincinnati! 

The choir from South Africa
It was really crowded! 

Oliver was hot and sweaty, but having a great time! 
Flags hanging up that represent many cultures

No comments:

Post a Comment