During the last week my best friend, Holly, came to visit. It was nice to have "girl time" with someone closer than a sister. We had a great time at the zoo, driving Oliver to and from school, running various errands, and just being at home. It was also nice to have an extra pair of hands when Brent was at work. I tried out things that made me nervous with two kids. Some things, like giving both boys a bath at the same time, I'll do when alone. Other things, like going to the grocery store, I will not. The best thing was having someone here who knows me well enough to watch me in some pretty crazy situations then encourage and love on me through it. She let me take risks and never once told me I was going to lose it, but that I will figure out this "new normal". I'm blessed to have a friend like her and humbled by the way she accepts me as I am.
As a mother of two boys I am quickly learning that being a parent is a very humbling experience. Up to this point as a mother of one, I thought I could handle it all. There have been very few moments in the last three years where I felt out of control of any situation. When I did I quickly figured out what to do and moved on. This whole parenting two simultaneously is proving to be completely different. I'm quickly learning that not all situations are within my control and I will be embarrassed from time to time. Or every day. Here is a classic story to demonstrate my point.
On Tuesday morning I wanted to return some baby gift duplicates to the Carter's store in Cincinnati. So Holly and I took Oliver to daycare then made our way across the river. At almost the exact moment we pulled into the Rookwood Commons parking lot that I got a phone call from daycare that Oliver hadhad an accident and did not have clothes to change into. Crap! I forgot to take more pants after the accident last week. (Yes, we are having a lapse in being potty trained right now. Boo!)
As soon as I get off of the phone I realize that the Carter's store was also not open for another hour. I was not leaving the area at this point because we'd already come the half hour up here. Oliver could wait. Holly, Graham, and I could go walk around the local bookstore.
After about an hour of wandering, I realize that Graham's next time to eat was at 10:00. I looked for the diaper bag, realized I'd left it in the car, left Graham in Holly's care inside the store, and ran out to get the bottle I'd pumped earlier that morning for this exact situation. Once I got back inside, Holly attempted to feed my little bundle, but the milk was too cold from being in the car. He did not want anything to do with it.
Think, Melissa, think! What are the other options? My eyes darted over to the restaurant that is inside the book store. We wandered over there and I explained to the waitress that I'd like a corner booth so I could nurse my little boy. She obliged and we ordered warm drinks to pass the time. Graham ate like a champ on the first side. Then came the second half of his feeding. He would not latch on. He started crying. He stunk. I went to change his diaper. Graham and I came back to the booth. He started crying, no screaming. This is not working! The waitress kindly brought me a cup of hot water to sit the bottle in. Graham ate about half an ounce. Holly went to the restroom and about 10 seconds later Graham spit up the entire half an ounce all over himself. So there I sat in the corner booth at the restaurant at Joseph Beth changing my almost three week old from his adorable outfit into a sleeper. He continued screaming. At this point the waitress had moved all customers to the other side of the restaurant. We were completely disruptive.
As soon as I finished zipping Graham's sleeper, I quickly found the waitress, gave her an extra tip, and we quietly left from the side door.
Being a parent is humbling.

No comments:
Post a Comment