Thursday, June 20, 2013

"We can do this!"

Day 5 of Potty Time started off with a pretty big accident in the kitchen, but there were no more pee accidents of the day. He pooped on the potty twice and only had one accident in that area before bed. The biggest feat was having him tell me when he needed to go, because his only motivation for walking in the bathroom was me telling him. Fortunately he started doing it consistently after the morning accident. The best part was that he went through the night without an accident for the first time. I, being my paranoid self, checked on him any time I heard a noise all throughout the night. When I'd ask if he needed to go and he responded that he didn't, I trusted him and prayed for the best.

Though we stayed at home for yet another day, we did have a really good time learning about Noah's Ark. I was realizing that Oliver needs somewhat routine, or at least for his mind to be busy, so I came up with some things for us to do. The idea started with anticipation of a zoo trip some time this week. We sang the "Arky" song ("Children of the Lord") a bunch of times, found animals throughout the house and paired them up, led the animals into our ark (under the stool), and colored a picture of Noah's ark. We also held a green scavenger hunt in the afternoon, finding everything green in the house. This led to creating a game where you throw the green balls and blocks into the bucket. The coloring picture and game were the first things he showed his dad when he walked in the door from work.






So on Day 6 I decided it was time to get out of the house. We were both stir crazy beyond belief! So we headed to the zoo, along with everyone else in the Cincinnati area apparently! We made 4 trips to the potty in 3 hours. The first was mandatory by me when we got there. He loved having his own potty seat from home. (It is small enough to fit into our bag and takes away the anticipation of the big potties, providing a sense of familiarity. I love it for those reasons, and honestly think the "base" is a waste of money. Fisher Price needs a version with just the top. Anyway, I digress...) The next potty stop was after visiting the elephants and penguins at the Children's Zoo. He did a great job of holding it until I could get to the closest restroom and we celebrated his success. Then we headed back out and within 5 minutes he said he needed to go again. When we got close to the next restroom, he changed his mind. I listened to him and put him on the carousel. Afterward, we headed to the closest potty. While I was taking out his stuff he peed all over himself, while standing in front of the potty. I was so annoyed with myself for not listening the first time. I really wanted the poor fella to feel success because he's been trying so hard. So we changed his pants and shoes, then headed toward the polar bears. After watching the amazing creatures swim for a few minutes we ate an early lunch and walked toward the train.

The line for the train was the longest I have ever seen! We got in it and waited. Twenty minutes later, about 2 minutes before our train ride was to begin, Oliver looks at me and says, "Mommy, I need to go potty." WHAT? I had a choice... the train or the potty? The train arrived. And we got on with me praying the entire ride that we were not the people who filled our train car with pee. My prayers were answered. We jumped off when the ride was over, ran around everyone as fast as we could, left our stroller behind for the moment, and bee-lined for the restroom. And he made it! I was so proud of him. We did a happy dance and everything. All he had to say was, "Now I get a treat!" He was right. As soon as he got in the car I found a DumDum in my console for his reward.

A week ago I felt scared, worried, and doubtful that our child would ever be out of diapers before his 10th birthday. Faith and prayers go a long way. All I needed was a little hope. So I must say that Oliver is correct when he says, "We can do this!"

No comments:

Post a Comment